Showing rigor on migration issues is the line followed by the French government. Even when this implies establishing quotas, on detention, asylum rejection or deportations. Under the socialist government, forced returns increase, while « voluntary » returns reduce. When the Minister of Home Affairs Bernard Cazeneuve speaks about these numbers, he forgets to talk about the cost of deportations. This cost, which includes detention in closed centers, is denounced by defenders of human rights since the budget used for deportation could be reassigned to dignified reception policies.
- [EN], Global Detention Project, The detention of asylum seekers in the Mediterranean region
- Ecuador [EN] Global Detention Project, Ecuador Detention Profile
- France [FR] Le Monde, Cazeneuve revives the match left wing – right wing concerning expulsions
- Cyprus [EN] KISA, Serious violations of detainees’ rights in the detention centre of Mennogeia
- Belgium [FR] Steenrock, Make music, not immigration detention centres !