Ecuador has been lauded for adopting the principle of « universal citizenship » in its 2008 Constitution. Yet, the country seems to have backtracked concerning reception of migrants and asylum seekers. Ecuador, the first host country of refugees in Latin America, recently narrowed its definition of « refugees », while its asylum recognition rate keeps reducing and visas are required for citizens of more and more African and Asian countries. Above all, the use of immigration detention increases in Ecuador. The country intensifies its operations of immigration control, especially from Colombia and Cuba.
- [EN], Global Detention Project, The detention of asylum seekers in the Mediterranean region
- Ecuador [EN] Global Detention Project, Ecuador Detention Profile
- France [FR] Le Monde, Cazeneuve revives the match left wing – right wing concerning expulsions
- Cyprus [EN] KISA, Serious violations of detainees’ rights in the detention centre of Mennogeia
- Belgium [FR] Steenrock, Make music, not immigration detention centres !