Hunger strikes go on in Cypriot detention centres, to protest against human rights’ violations in these structures. In this country, many foreigners are detained, sometimes during months, then released without any possibility to fulfil their needs in the country. Following that, they are sometimes arrested again. Rights’ defenders are also worried about marriages between foreigners and Cypriot citizens are considered “virtual” by authorities and these foreigners arrested as well. The Greek migratory policy threatens not only the detained migrants, but their families too. The NGO KISA asks authorities for a respect of the national and European law, which considers that arrest and detention should only be used as a last resort.
- [EN], Global Detention Project, The detention of asylum seekers in the Mediterranean region
- Ecuador [EN] Global Detention Project, Ecuador Detention Profile
- France [FR] Le Monde, Cazeneuve revives the match left wing – right wing concerning expulsions
- Cyprus [EN] KISA, Serious violations of detainees’ rights in the detention centre of Mennogeia
- Belgium [FR] Steenrock, Make music, not immigration detention centres !