On May 9th the Steenrock concert took place in front of the closed centre of Steenokkerzeel, Belgium. The Steenrock festival was initiated by the CRER (Coordination against the Raids, the Evictions and for the Regularisation), with Bruxelles Laïque, SCI (International Civic Service), MRAX (Movement against Racism, Anti-Semitism and Xenophobia). The watchword of this initiative, that gathered thousands of persons, is to protest against the banalization of migrants’ detention in closed centres and the multiplication of these camps in Belgium and elsewhere in Europe. Closed detention centres spread the idea that immigration is controlled, which justifies the budget dedicated to it. Yet, they are real prison where permanent violations of human rights of men, women, and even children detained there take place. The Steenrock festival expresses the voice of those who refuse this normalization of immigration detention.
- [EN], Global Detention Project, The detention of asylum seekers in the Mediterranean region
- Ecuador [EN] Global Detention Project, Ecuador Detention Profile
- France [FR] Le Monde, Cazeneuve revives the match left wing – right wing concerning expulsions
- Cyprus [EN] KISA, Serious violations of detainees’ rights in the detention centre of Mennogeia
- Belgium [FR] Steenrock, Make music, not immigration detention centres !