In 2014, about 25,000 applications for asylum have been registered in Switzerland. The applicants are mainly from Syria and Eritrea. To accomodate them, the Confederation wants to create, in the next years, 5,000 places in new federal centres, with accelerated procedures. Cantons have to propose sites for asylum seekers’ accomodation. More and more opponents protest against measures implemented to host foreigners, fearing what they call a « disaster » for their respective municipalities.
- [EN], Global Detention Project, The detention of asylum seekers in the Mediterranean region
- Ecuador [EN] Global Detention Project, Ecuador Detention Profile
- France [FR] Le Monde, Cazeneuve revives the match left wing – right wing concerning expulsions
- Cyprus [EN] KISA, Serious violations of detainees’ rights in the detention centre of Mennogeia
- Belgium [FR] Steenrock, Make music, not immigration detention centres !