A detainee died in a stampede during a riot at a Saudi detention center for migrant workers awaiting deportation and nine others were injured, the police said Monday. Some of the foreign detainees at the Shemaisi center in Jidda rioted Sunday evening and clashed with security guards, a police spokesman said. The police did not say why the detainees had rioted and did not reveal the victims’ nationalities. The deportations are part of a Saudi campaign to expel foreign workers who lack official documents. For decades, lax immigration enforcement allowed migrants to take many low-wage jobs that the kingdom’s own citizens shunned. Saudi authorities, grappling with high unemployment, now want those jobs for Saudis. The government says it has deported more than a quarter of a million migrants since it began enforcing its crackdown in November.
- [EN], Global Detention Project, The detention of asylum seekers in the Mediterranean region
- Ecuador [EN] Global Detention Project, Ecuador Detention Profile
- France [FR] Le Monde, Cazeneuve revives the match left wing – right wing concerning expulsions
- Cyprus [EN] KISA, Serious violations of detainees’ rights in the detention centre of Mennogeia
- Belgium [FR] Steenrock, Make music, not immigration detention centres !