In December 2006, the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (LIBE) of the European Parliament commissioned a study on the conditions of migrants and asylum seekers in reception, detention and transit centres. This study, carried out by STEPS and completed in December 2007, is the first on this subject, based on field investigations conducted in all EU Member States (twenty-five countries at the time of commission).
See Belgium report here.
See full report here.
- Detention camps and transit zones in Belgium (pdf - 202 kB )
InformationsDate(s) of publication: 2007
Author(s): STEPS Consulting social study for European Parliament
Credits: The conditions in centres for third country nationals (detention camps, open centres as well as transit centres and transit zones) with a particular focus on provisions and facilities for persons with special needs in the 25 EU member states
- Hotspots at the heart of the archipelago of camps
- Five years to reach Hamburg from Kaboul
- Detainees and detention centers in the United Kingdom: overcapacity and inhuman living conditions
- The Balkan buffer-zone
- Externalisation of the European migration policy into the Balkans: when delegating makes imprisonment easier
"voluntary" return arbitrary detention Atlas Australia Austria Balkans Belarus Belgium C(h)amp d'expression camps in Europe Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark deportation Encampment map Estonia Europe European union Finland France Germany Great Britain Greece Hungary Ireland Italy Latvia Lithuania London Luxembourg Malta Moldova Morocco Netherlands Poland Portugal Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland The hidden face of immigration detention camps in Europe Ukraine United Kingdom United states